Friday, January 31, 2020

In My Mind It's Always Winter


In My Mind It's Always Winter


I
I've never liked the winter
couldn't stand the cold
with wildly wicked wind
and snow in an endless flow
warming up my toes
wishing for the summer

I've never really liked holidays
couldn't stand my family arguing
my family's just always on edge
mom would send me out in the snow
I would be told to shovel or play
so many freezing memories

II
I sit in my cell
my mind, it races
my thoughts are overtaken
by a wintry holiday I liked

you brought me in
with a smile on your face
hope in your eyes
then I entered a magical place

laughter and love
jokes and decorations
cooking and helping
no one was arguing

and they gathered around the table
smiled and welcomed me
so many introductions, I'll never forget
I love winter

III
I smile because of you
because of me
because my heart is for you
I can't even breath
we are apart from each other

IV
we wear masks of happiness
spill our tears through each letter
our souls intertwined and torn
my heart broken and bruised
your love reaching for me

V
you share your love
I can almost hear your voice
as I read your hurt
feel your longing
see your hope
resent myself

VI
I'm sorry I'm here in a cell
I'm sorry I've locked up your smile
Death, my friend, enemy, prosecutor
threatens to make this my reality
but my mind, it remembers
it remembers a winter I love
the way our hands intertwined
the way you said the most important words
the way you made me love holidays
the way our love is eternal
the way I now love the winter





No comments:

Post a Comment