Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Message to My Godmother

Message to My Godmother

That girl in the mirror
daughter of San Juan
made of sunshine and sugarcane
looks like my mom
She used to run weightless
Time a perfumed bottle
hanging from her neck
Manana a song
she made up the words to
while she skipped
until the day she stopped
caught the toothless, squirming bundle
heaven dropped into her arms
and gravity kicked in
Her life took a new spin
This screaming gift did not
lead her to dream places
or fill all her empty spaces
like she thought
Silly C------, she bought into
Miami high
That love is mostly what you get
instead of what you give
and what it costs
like the perfumed bottle
ripped from her neck
and sent flying to the ground
The crashing sound
of years lost
shattered in her ears
and new fears emerged
from the looking glass
Sometimes I wonder
if I'll ever see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment